How to Play Basketball Squares
Sample rules and configurations for playing Basketball Squares Online.
You may be used to playing Football Squares, but there are many different ways that people can play Basketball squares, so we'll try to sum up some of the different options. Most people play during the March Madness tournament, but Basketball squares can played for any other single game, or in some cases you can use the same squares for multiple games. First, you need to understand the basics of how the Squares game is played:
- Start off with an empty 10 by 10 grid. This will give you 100 Squares for people to choose from.
- Depending on which game you are playing with, simply assign one team to the columns, and one to the rows.
- Now, start recruiting people to join your Basketball Squares pool by letting them choose which squares they want. If you use our site to Play Basketball Squares Online, this will be a much easier process since you can simply email everyone the link to your site and let them choose their squares. If you decide to use a Spreadsheet or Printable Sheet, then this proces may take you some time and effort since you have to manually pass along the file or sheet.
- Once all the squares have been filled, it is time to assign the numbers to each column and row. By playing online, this is as simple as a click of the button. For those using offline options, randomly assign numbers 0 through 9 to each column, followed by doing the same for each row. Now each square represents a specific score in the game based on the column and row numbers.
- Your Basketball Squares grid is now complete, and you just need to wait til the game is played to determine who will be your winners. A winner will be determined at the end of the 1st quarter, 2nd quarter, 3rd quarter, and Final Game score. The winner is determined by looking at the last number in each teams' score, and then matching those numbers on the grid and seeing which square intersects those two numbers. An example would be if the Miami Dolphins were playing the New York Giants in the Super Bowl, and the score at halftime was Miami Dolphins 23, and NY Giants 14. The last number for the Dolphins is 3, and the last number for the Giants is 4. The square on the grid that has the Dolphins with a number of 3, and Giants score of 4, would be the winner.
- Payouts for the winners vary depending on your setup, but usually the 1st through 3rd quarter get about 20% of the pot each, and the final score would get the remaining 40%.
- Assign a different set of numbers per Quarter
- Assign a different set of numbers per Half
- Use a 5 by 5 grid, where each square has two numbers for each team
Basketball Squares Options
Use a single grid for the entire March Madness Tournament
Use a single grid for just the Final Four games
Use a single grid for just the Championship Game